Wednesday, December 17, 2014

The Wild Truth by Carine McCandless


The story of Chris McCandless has struck a chord with many people since his body was found in the wilds of Alaska more than twenty years ago.  Jon Krakauer's iconic book "Into the Wild" was a favorite read of mine.  So, when I heard about this book written by his sister, Carine, I was anxious to read it.  

She says many times in the book that she is the only person who truly understood what motivated Chris's decision to leave all his belongings and his family and disappear into the wild Alaskan landscape.  This motivation was hinted at in Krakauer's book, but Carine goes into much detail when exposing the violent and abusive family history that precipitated his disappearance.

I don't know what I think about the whole experience now that I've read the book.  I'm glad she wrote the book and gave us more background on Chris and her family's struggles with dysfunction...but, in the end a very idealistic man's life was cut short in a very tragic and maybe ultimately preventable way...and that's just sad.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...